Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The salesman


A face pleading, hands full of .....something. The usual scene at a red light stop.

I ignored the gesticulating hands and eyes from inside the air conditioned comforts of the car with a negated smile.

Plop! the 10 by 3 inches fliers(?) were put down on the windshield.I shook myself out of my reverie and vigorously shook my head.

Apparently the hand gave up-he picked up the papers and started moving . A few were left and I noticed that they were not fliers- they were lottery tickets.

Junu lowered the window and yelled "Hey! Take them back!"

The fellow was back now at Junu's side of the car!

"Seth!",the young man said,"today Lakshmi wants to come to you, take these - 5 for Rs 100"

I protested in vain....

the tickets exchanged hands....

"What is your name?" Junu asked

"Seth.. my name is Amjad... take my number its 97567827" and he vanished into the milling crowd.

Lakshmi! and "Amjad"

It happens only in India

2 comments: