Thursday, June 18, 2009

Road Trips


The pre-monsoon heat refused to dry out my enthusiasm and we set out on one of our innumerable road trips.Can you imagine the wonderful feeling of being packed and set to go -somewhere... the main pleasure being the road (Or the process) rather than the ultimate destination. Its almost like the chocolate oozing out of a freshly bitten eclair!

I have seen almost all of India through road trips. I think I was a little girl when these trips started and now I continue to luxuriate in them. The excitement and pleasure have not diminished over the years. The call of the unknown has always been strong in my blood and this draws me year after year to move in radial direction to the place I am currently living in.This is almost like a hereditary disease, which I think, I have passed on to my children! We get a little itchy if there have been no trips for a long period of time.

So here we were the four of us packed with nothing but a few change of clothes and the credit card. As usual we drove towards the mountains (remember I am searching for the hut on the mountains!)We started early so we managed to beat the Mumbai traffic and went on to the highway within an hour! The open blue grey tarred roads, the freshly painted dividers the far away purple mountains all beckoned like a Siren's song.

The journey with its usual sulks in the back seat;the road side cutting chai;the vada-pao; the small snoozes was delicious! Everything felt good and tasted wonderful. The fresh mountain air, the winding ghat roads, the greenery and the sounds of nature gave all of us a boost-up which we were direly in need of.

I did find a hut on the mountain- a little space in all eternity to savour and enjoy. My quest continues to find my ultimate space in this world before its time for me to join the ultimate!

No comments:

Post a Comment