Monday, November 22, 2010

Being Busy



You know? It's nice to be back with you again. The dusty summers have mellowed into warm sunshine filled Autumn. That lovely winter chill in the air- just an appetizer for the bone chilling cold which I think I will experience after eighteen years!

Life has been very full, very crammed at certain moments- it's a good feeling not to have mind space to think; to be so tired by the end of the day it doesn't matter if the dishwasher has been put on or not! Yet people ask me how I fill my days? In a normal social occasion I smile and say "Oh! lots of things!" but seriously I have this very busy mind which never lets me be alone. (Yet I and many other people have labeled me as a -Loner) In fact I have been so "busy"that I haven't been able to speak with you. You might say-Ha! what's the great deal? I didn't miss you!" But I did miss you - you are one of my many commitments which keep me "busy"

Young mothers ask me "Your children are almost grown up what do you do the whole day?"I am waiting for them to grow up and realize that children don't keep you busy, its your mind; your duty driven feelings that keep you busy! All of us go through that stage and think that's the most important stage in life- but is it? I look back and remember the hours and days I used to spend so that my little ones would get three proper meals a day. Life was one round of feeding and preparing food! Age has brought wisdom and I realize that if a child is hungry he will eat. But my sense of insecurity and inexperience made me do that. Let me be very clear - I am not complaining- I just want to say that life was busy then and life is busy now, only my priorities have changed.

When I was in college, I used to want to do so many things- paint, stitch, write, read, knit, crochet,fly, drive, embroider.... the list is endless, I did many of these things; some I completed some I didn't but I always rued the fact that the day did not have more than twenty four hours (I did and I still do "Love to sleep"!) Now I have the time to indulge in these and some new pursuits without feeling guilty- does that make me less busy? you answer this one!

I have been planning to go round walking in Alexandria and taking snaps of all the small works of art that decorate the dividers and crossing of this beautiful city and put it up for you to see- the key word here is "planning". Here I am a almost retired mother not having the time to do such a simple thing! I wonder whether I am just plain lazy or disorganized?

Many corporates hire the services of consultants to figure out how to improve, increase and instigate better performance. Do you think it's time we "almost retired or completely retired mothers"should take their help? I need answers- even to-be-mothers,fully occupied mothers, to-be-fathers, fully occupied fathers and soon-to-be retired fathers and retired fathers can join in this discussion and give me a feedback.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you here,that its our own mind which keeps us the busiest.People have this perception of women who work and the one's who are at home.So the eternal question,"you are not working"to which i tell them that u mean not working outside of home.Its really up to each one of us as to feed our mind and time with things which are productive and inspiring.
    I feel each phase of our lives need to be lived and dealt with differently.To be able to do that to the best of our ability is what it should be.To have hot food ready when they are back from school,to be able to download all that has happened.To be there when they are sick,happy or dissapointed ,isn't it worth the while.I think it is.
    Time available will surely change,dependence too,from wanting help they would turn around and help us and be our best friends....thats a wonderful time,to be cherished .So go all out and live the time and phase you are in now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi !!!

    I agree 2 what u say..."you are not working"
    is undoubted a disturbing phase for me, and to cover up i say i have a small baby at home. But isn't motherhood equally challenging like a outdoor 9-5 job?? I feel mother, father never retire and they are alway ever green

    But keeping ourself occupied, happy is something really different thing. After all we have one life ... and life is fun, live life in style should be the motto :)

    ReplyDelete