Thursday, October 14, 2010

Erasing the line


Its a good feeling to see India doing well at the commonwealth games. What is this about this crazy country of ours that we mismanage everything yet come out with honors??!!Suddenly, after what I feel is eons,I am missing Delhi! I am missing the waiting for the University Special on a cold winter misty morning.I miss eating the hot samosas at the university canteen after a scintillating lecture from the newly appointed handsome professor! I even miss hanging on to the straps in the bus through the hour's journey, dead tired but still enjoying the process.

We didn't have the metro then. Eve teasing was rampant, yet few girls those days had much choice; if you didn't take the DTC, you stayed at home! So we moved in groups, avoided eye contact with "those" kind of boys. Sat in bus stops and passed comments on the innocent ones!

I miss walking around Janpath picking up bargains. I miss wearing the eternal jeans which were like a uniform. I miss going to the Hanuman mandir on Tuesdays- not because I was religious but to accompany a friend who was. I miss coming back home half sleepy, being fed by Ma and going to sleep under the blanket for an hour or so. What bliss!

Great men tell us not to look at the past and that we must live in the present as this is the only reality. But sometimes when we are walking on a beautiful road we come to a dead end- what do we do? Either we turn back and go through the pleasures of the time past or we break the dead end and move forward. To break open a dead end requires immense amount of strength. It is almost nigh impossible to gather this power when we are just awaking from an orgy of pleasant happiness. This is when we need to move back from reality, gather our energy like a high jumper poised before taking off and then string our bow taut and let free the arrow to be able to crash into the black reality facing us. Sometimes the happy past can act as a fuel for this.

The sea is misty today. I can hardly make out the line dividing the sea and the sky. Its time we realize that there is only a line dividing life and after life.

No comments:

Post a Comment