Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hits and Misses



“Don’t miss me too much!” said my arrogant teenager a little bent under the weight of her backpack as she wheeled the packed suitcase to the elevator.

After a whirlwind morning of trying to see that she has taken everything; seeing that she had her cup of milk (I must tell you the milk story! but not now, otherwise I will digress as usual!); her breakfast; wearing a jacket; her shoes (Once she had almost gone to school in her flip-flops!); reminding her for the umpteenth time to look after her passport, money, iPad and herself in that order I was too exhausted to give any kind of cheeky repartee at her departure!

There was total silence in the house, unless you call the sound of the waves any kind of abnormal sound, it was quiet. I tottered back to the kitchen to continue with my breakfast preparation when my phone rang and I went helter-skelter to find where it was. At last I found it and there was my “Trying teenager” telling me that she had forgotten her jacket and she was coming back up to get it.

Rush to her room- pick up the jacket lying bunched up on the bed- rush to the front door and reach just in time to hear the ping of the elevator reaching - hand over the jacket to the grinning ape and repeat all the advise I had repeated at least twenty times (This BTW included the jacket-taking one!)

I suddenly realised that I was talking to an empty corridor as madam had disappeared! This time I took my time walking back to the breakfast table. I had a leisurely one discussing whether she will reach the airport with all her possessions! Anyway when I bid goodbye to Junu, I reminded him to ask Imen whether Mickey had taken her suitcase or not from the boot- just to be safe!

Now there was total silence. It was cold so I shut all the doors. I could see the noise of the sea but not hear it. As is my routine I went to her room to pick up the stuff she strews around her room. (Thank God it’s now only her room; it took me more than five years to train her to limit her destruction to her room!). Everything was normal- her bedclothes were messed up- the second bed was dumped with all her school books (anybody would think that she was the most studious child in the world) - the bath towel was draped over her study chair; (just for your information - the balcony is just a step away with a drying stand). All the drawers of the chest of drawers were opened to a different degree, a mouse could play jump and balance on them! The cupboard door had to be open – it’s like a matter of prestige for her not to shut the door!

The only things missing were -the three chargers were not lying in various stages of undress (The phone, camera and i-pad). Normally one is partly draped on the bedpost; one is absolutely on the floor; the last one will be out of the head point and half on the dressing table! I felt a lump form in my throat as I went round picking up and tidying the room before the maid turned up. Soon, very soon I will not have to do any of this and will I be jumping with joy when this happens is a debatable question.

Well the day wore on and I talked with her on the phone. Had she reached the airport on time? Did she get her visa? And had she paid the ticket amount at the school office? I had given her the money two days ago but she has to do everything at the last moment! At last she was airborne with all her possessions around her. But can a mum ever relax when her fledgling is trying out her wings? I don’t know about others but I couldn’t, I read, I played I even made kebabs to keep myself occupied but till she landed and gave me a call I was not able to breathe freely.

Then my almost -adult chick messaged to me that Mickey had phoned her and how proud she was of her – travelling on her own, dealing with passport, visa and immigration formalities on her own! Today I feel proud of both my chicks who I am sure and confident will go on to being independent young ladies and do whatever they do to the best of their abilities.

But I will still worry about Mickey’s “unawareness” of the world and Chiqui’s “over-awareness” of the world....
I shall always miss them when they are not around and nag them when they are...

No comments:

Post a Comment