Monday, October 31, 2011

Hermetically Sealed?



Once upon a time lived a young hermit; His whole day was spent on contemplating the greatness of God. He appreciated each part of the day as we would appreciate a framed painting; he smelt the fragrance of nature at different times of the day and wallowed in it; he tasted the fruits and savoured each taste –salt, sour, sweet et al; he heard the sound of the gurgling stream, the song of the birds, the cacophony of the hawks and the crows, the rustling of the leaves, the patter of the raindrops , the whoosh of the wind....; he touched the velvet softness of the new grass, the rough scales  of the tree bark, the downy feathers of the birds  and the furs of animals. 

He was happy or so he thought... After years of spending such a wonderful life he thought he would venture out into the world and answer the many questions that always troubled his mind. He always saw many creatures of the same kind but never saw any of his kind and this disturbed him. He did know that God made him but why did he leave him on this lovely place? He wondered whether his reason for existence was purely to enjoy or did it have some other hidden quest?  He always noticed that everyone was busy eating, searching for food looking after their off- springs, protecting their home but he did none of these. His life was pure blissful joy. No responsibilities or onus rested on him!

He began his quest for knowledge with a minimum of baggage. He had a stout stick and the clothes he wore and a sickle to cut any fruits for his food. He walked for many days and reached a mountain pass. He looked down at the valley below and took deep breaths of the beautiful panorama spread below him. He saw huts and houses and well manicured fields and smoke spires coming from the roof tops of the huts. The sun was setting and the whole valley was bathed in its golden glow. He felt a sense of infinite happiness suffusing his soul and he almost ran down to this lovely place.

He was hungry as he entered the limits of the little village. He saw lovely ripe fruits hanging on the trees and he reached up and plucked the fruit and bit into it. The owner of the orchard came running out and gave him a whack and jabbered at him. He was stunned! He did not understand what was it that confronted him; here was a creature of his kind yet he behaved like he did not know him. He gestured telling him in his own tongue that he was hungry and needed the fruit. This made the owner furious and he dragged him to the centre of the village. 

I don’t think I need to tell you what ensued! The process of law and justice went into full swing and the poor man was thrown into a locked cell. The trauma and pain and anguish the man went through were unimaginable. He who did not know what pain was- was being subjected to it with the whole gamut of negative emotions. He felt the pain as a baby does when he cuts his first tooth!

Did he venture further into the new world? Did he go on in spite of all the pain? Did he find what he had set out to? Are a set of questions that I leave you to answer. If you were him what would you have done? 

Knowledge, any kind of it always brings pain. That’s the rule of nature. Because knowledge brings awareness and awareness is the acceptance of something which is alien to us at that moment.  It’s like falling down because we did not walk properly or like burning our finger because we did not know that fire burns.

Should we then stick to our own Utopia and be happy and satisfied with what we have? This is a personal question and each of us has our own personal answers. I have met many people in the course of my vagrant life who have felt sorry for me-as I have not stayed in the place that I was born in. They seem so happy and settled that I have been envious of them (Especially when I was a child). 

My position is almost an antithesis of the hermit. I have always lived surrounded by knowledge and the itch that it brings along with it! But I have my own similarities with him too. I have been satisfied and content with my desire for knowledge not for personal gain but for its sake alone.

I am at a point in my life where I have left time far behind and the only thing in front is a jumble of roads all seemingly impassable – yet I must battle through them. The question is which of the thorny roads I must cut through to reach my goal of Moksha! Is my fate as imprisoned as that of the hermit in the story or shall I or can I let a few bacteria enter into my cosmos?

4 comments:

  1. which do u feel is better ma'am? confronting pain which brings along knowledge which is the cause of ultimate satisfaction or sticking to our own Utopia because its the same as ultimate happiness anyway? :l

    now i've been endlessly discussin ur post with my room-mates for 2hrs... thought provoking post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very confused today! I really don't know what I want and that's what led me to write this.

    I know in a day or two I will be my usual "sure-of-everything" self but today is a day of questioning!

    I need answers from you and whoever cares to ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW ! Stupendous; one of your most solid posts !

    However, you seek answers in black or white. I believe there are more dimensions to it. Let me try and explain in my way through some simple examples ...

    a) Case 1: Assume I am genetically diabetic - but I am oblivious to it - but one day in my annual health check up, I find high sugar and start taking medication and improve my lifestyle. In this case the knowledge has been of use and helped me.
    b) Case 2 - I have the knowledge that smoking is injurious to health - yet in spite of the knowledge, I continue to smoke - in this case, knowledge has no impact.
    c) Case 3 - I believe that God exists - there are holy books in every religion that bear testimony to this. With this knowledge we build temples and spend so much of our time praying. But does he really exist? Our knowledge may be misplaced.

    In my opinion, one cannot conclude that knowledge brings pain or happiness. Every day of our life is a gift and although not easy, we must try and fill every moment with happiness by having positive thoughts and the right knowledge.If it is called Utopia, so be it !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knowledge has taught me something that there is no right or wrong it might go against the grain or for the grain but no definitive limits to an action or emotion. For all you know in the metaphysics of life what you call "negativity"has its own place and importance.....

    ReplyDelete