Monday, October 4, 2010

Falling and Rising


It feels good to be back after a hiatus.The last two months have been rather busy- traveling, meeting people and getting to know them better. How strange that many of our preconceived notions can break down in nanoseconds if we allow ourselves to be fluid in our outlook!

Discovering that people are actually good till we turn them into 'not so good' is one of the amazing discoveries that no one ever chronicles. It takes age and time to discover this. I think the arrogance of youth is the main obstacle that prevents us from discovering this wonderful truth of life.

Controlling one's impulses is actually healthy! (When I was studying in the XIth grade, one lady whom I used to look up to, had told me that most of our ailments come due to the fact that we suppress our impulses, "See",she would say,"How healthy all the birds and animals are, they never fall ill- it's all because they never suppress their impulses- they eat when they are hungry, drink when thirsty and shit when they feel the urge to!".This actually ruled me for many of my formative years and I would speak fearlessly of my opinions and ideas without a second thought and with conviction. It did help me in college, specially during seminars and presentations but... a big 'BUT' is whether it endeared me to my friends? I really don't know, not even now! They were too polite to argue with me then! It is only now that I realize that sometimes they actually hurt the atmosphere around us and nothing in life is more important than human relationships!

One more notion that tumbled down like Humpty Dumpty is that, once you have seen somethings (Here I mean Monuments) you have seen it all! Well I went to see the Giza Pyramids for the second time and discovered how wrong I was! Its like going to a growing garden- every time you go there - there is something new to see and appreciate. How is that many of us spend an hour at these sites of civilization and expect to know all, is a mystery?

Silently accepting my drawbacks and trying to make amends has enriched me personally and after a long time the sea is echoing my mood- a little dark, a little turbulent but still warm and inviting!

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand the fact about being judgemental. I try real hard not to. But I think, it is partly human to be so... but it is good to allow correction and accepting people for both their bad and goods.

    I also completely relate to being horribly frank. Lot of people praise me for it... but few close friends of mine tell me that i have hurt a lot of people by doing so... i try being diplomatic... but like you said, it takes time and age... will get it eventually...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Saphira, oh yes yes you do hurt people,period.

    ReplyDelete