Friday, March 18, 2011

The Smoldering Coward!



I had to write this because I was needled to the point of no return! I was tagged as a coward because I refused to dare to go where the “Brave” had treaded!

If knowing that I would die if I were to jump off a cliff and so not jump and be labelled as a coward then be it- “I am a coward” If knowing that I would burn my fingers if I put them into a fire and not do so and be named a coward then I am one definitely! If learning from my past mistakes or from the mistakes of the others makes me known as living in the past then be it.

Once, long time ago, someone had angrily told me that the only thing that I have done right in my life is to have listened to my elders! My hurt and anger for that statement has dissipated with time. The spark of rage which ignited me to write this has also died down though  it is still smouldering!

I need to explain my views- One that, if it is change we are seeking, then there are better ways of change – not from the frying pan into the fire type of change! If you are caught between the devil and the deep sea which side would you choose? I would opt for the sea because there is a chance that you might come out of it but the devil never pardons his dues. It is the brave who dare to explore uncharted territories but it is fools who walk with their eyes blindfolded!

Was Einstein a brave man? Or was Amundsen a brave man? Or was Socrates a brave man? Three different men, three different fields and three different ideas of bravery! According to me they were brave not because they were successful (Socrates was killed!) but because they had the courage to move in their uncharted territory without hurting anyone. Their work; their lives; their ideas live on as an example of what bravery is about. Amundsen was a brave man but would he have gone to the South Pole without his warm clothes or sled or the dogs? If he had then he would have been a fool!

Dreamers of Utopia are like Keats- create a lovely work of art but other than a few minutes of pleasure it does nothing- it doesn’t even make you think! It is true that if we did not dream then nothing would change and that would be the biggest tragedy possible. If an architect just dreamt and not build his dream would he be respected would he get his next assignment? 

I am no philosopher nor am I great scientist nor am I ever going to do anything which will change the face of the world. I am an ordinary human being who lives from day to day, who dreams of her own Utopia without involving others, who empathises with the people of Japan as they reel under multiple problems, who believes that being cautious is a way not to get hurt, (there are people who believe that only the brave get hurt!)

What I do believe, is that in this world, where there are millions who do not get enough to eat, who are these dreamers to take away that one meal from them? Who are they to take away the freedom of thousands of young girls from being able to walk on the road alone? Who are they to take away the livelihood of at least ten thousand people? They would be justified if this was a temporary phase- but do they know how long it would take for their dreams to be fulfilled (if ever!)? What right do they have to trample on a million dreams to make their own selfish dream come true?

Freedom brings a lot of responsibilities- I think we realise this when we leave college and start working! I believe that romance is not about negating reality it’s about finding positivity in the ordinary. I believe that bravery is opening doors not closing them behind your back! I believe that cowardice is refusing to face the truth! I believe..... Too many to list here.....

This is my view, you are welcome to yours but do not call me names is what I request.

4 comments:

  1. Woah! :P
    Why would anyone call you names? -__-

    I can feel the anger in your writing btw. Just to let you know :P

    Beuatifully Written :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this really interesting discussion the other day when my prof. told me that a person without fear is intelligent. Actually the two things go both ways in a if and only if kind of way... fearless therefore intelligent. Intelligent therefore fearless.

    Anyways, the discussion was that whether a person is fearless because he/she is ready to explore unknown and uncharted territories or is it because he is ready to accept the fact that he can at times be wrong. He is not afraid that all his notions and pre conditioned thoughts can be wrong and that he'll discover that his life's ideals were all set on wrong footing... Maybe you meant that when you said that cowardice is refusing to face the truth. Now I'm beginning to feel they are effect and cause resp.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Hell hath no fury like a woman needled" - have learnt that from history ! And like a coward, will live with that fear and not post another comment; because the reaction to that is unknown, likely to be stormy ....although I know, if I write, we both will experience some wonderful moments of disagreements, some hurt, some laughter, a few hugs and frowns, making this Friday evening so much more exciting!

    By the way really enjoyed your last 2 posts, specially this one - par excellence! But I always knew I get the best out of you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, but beyond my understatnding thedeep philoshophy dad

    ReplyDelete