Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Wise never advise



Why does it take age to make us wise? Is it wisdom that makes us stop giving advice? Is it just the fact that we are too cautious to take the right step? Well I had the privilege to be invited to a talk by three young people who were proud of their achievements. I went with an open mind to receive wisdom. 

I still haven’t crossed the barricade of using 7 percent of my brain! But these days because I have the time and inclination I have decided to enrich my mind (Though being stubborn it’s a Herculean task!) through various ways and means. I read the newspaper, watch news on the TV, surf the net and debate with anyone who has the time to spare! I am after all unemployed (my resume now reads a tolerable housewife, termagant wife, nagging mother.......)

There I was in a darkened auditorium listening to the ideas of these youngsters. There were wonderful things they had done; they had made a difference to the world; they shared their dreams with the audience. Dreams of a wonderful political system sans the corruption and bureaucracy and the red tapism that comes with it; dreams where everyone was honest and safe; dreams where all were equal leading to a classless society; where life was one big party! (Their words)

Did you notice that I put an exclamation mark at the end of the last paragraph? Let me clarify it was not put there to express my disbelief. It was put there to show solidarity. How you may ask? Well I was young once, I too had had these dreams, but age and experience took them away ruthlessly. I remember my betters advising me about certain aspects of life and me mutely listening to them yet never accepting the facts. Like someone said advice is for free- the wise never give them and the fools never take them! So why give advice?

I was swallowed up in the darkness. Yet for a moment in time I was back in my University auditorium getting up to enter the limelight to argue and discourse on this Utopian picture being built up. I had unconsciously risen and then sanity took over and I slowly sat down to clap for the speaker. I had never felt so impatient in my life; I felt claustrophobic and rose to leave the place as silently as I had come. I felt old and tired- there was this beautiful picture painted with hesitant words which I know and most of us who are prosaic know is only a fantasy on one hand and on the other hand I saw a rudderless Ship drifting on the vast ocean of reality! 

There are too many adjectives to describe my feelings at that time but what they need is not adjectives, they need guidance, love and practical inputs. Who will give that to them? Junu says it is easy to give armchair advice and how do I know what they are doing is not right? 

Well I am trying to be wise, so have not proffered any advice but what I know is that painting a picture is much easier than constructing one. As I analyze myself I realize that I am finding what the wrongs are and not trying to highlight what are the rights in the ideas. But I beg to remind all that one small screw not tightened can lead to the collapse of the building and there is no scope for mistakes in real life. 

It is absolutely necessary to encourage a child when he has made mistakes for he needs it to build his confidence; it is equally necessary to be brutally honest with a young adult’s tentative foray into an uncharted territory for this is serious and real!

What right do I have to crush someone’s dreams? Should I not let them make and learn from their own mistakes? Unfortunately I am a mother and this makes me feel for them; I am like the blind seer who sees yet cannot explain how; I hope for once that I am wrong and they are right!

4 comments:

  1. thanks.....just tooo gud and gr8 advice to all mothers

    ReplyDelete
  2. My calender page reads, " remember, people listen best when you wait to be asked for your views"

    Your post was the 2nd time this flashed in my head today. 1st being today morning at the ward. We were assigned to the same patient we had seen yesterday and majority of the students present today had been absent yesterday and had no clue abt any of the findings ma'am had described to us and made us observe. So, I tried to describe what i had understood outta all the mountain of knowledge ma'am had dumped on us the previous day. But my classmates chose to reply with a blank stare, either coz they didnt believe me or didnt understand me. So little hurt and lost coz i couldnt guide them, i let them be and stood silently waiting for my turn. Then another classmate of mine (with whom i chose not to talk much wid) asked me what he was supposed to see and i told him and he listened and understood what i told him.
    This was when i thought of my calender.

    Yes... being young and naive... our dreams are so powerful and so realistic.. any word of advice is always allowed to flow out of the mind as easily it had flowed in! But staying here in college itself, i've seen few ( must be a really small portion of the world's black dots ) pieces of reality ( if u wish to call it that) and i've grown to accept it. I have few frnds who still see the world thru the flaw-fliter [ hey thats a nice phrase! :P ] and get really surprized when i show them the obvious holes in their goggles! [:P]

    As to advice... (this is goin to make me sound oddly very mature) I agree everyone must be allowed to fall and make their own mistakes and learn from it coz this is only way it gets imprinted in one's head! ( that was definitely outta exprience ... hee hee 20 years of little experience)
    But I would also like to add that it becomes our duty ( as frnds and older sibling for me and parents for you ) to still give your piece of advice and atleast show them the right pathway even if they choose not to go there; and be there with them to hold them incase they get hurt...

    And I loved you resume! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree to didi's comment above. :P

    This is vevy nice :*

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you would expect, my views are totally contrary to what you hv written. Under the facade of beiing wise, experienced and know all .... We are actually killing the dreams. Because of our experiences in life, we turn to be cowards and do not have the courage to go out to the unknown. And we tend to give 'well meaning advice' under the pretence of being caring, loving, motherly ... It is those people who live without fear and venture into the unknown will live life fully - in all its hues - success, failures, joy, sadness,...after all, no one knows what the tomorrow brings, and it is stupidity to plan for the future, based on what we know of the past.
    I am a coward, like the vast majority of us and live from my past. But i doff my hat to those who dare and pursue their dreams, however impossible or utopian it may seem. Cos as we know, mental creation precedes physical creation. And it is these dreamers who hv changed the world, not pragmatic cowards like me !!

    ReplyDelete